1. Scholarships, each in the amount of $1,000, will be awarded to at least one applicant from each district in the LCEF Central Region. Applicant must be a graduating high school senior or current full-time post-secondary student at an accredited institution with at least one year of courses remaining. Candidates must also be members of a congregation belonging to The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod located in one of the following LCMS districts: Iowa East, Iowa West, Minnesota North, Minnesota South, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, North Wisconsin, South Dakota or South Wisconsin.
2. The application deadline is January 31, 2020. Applications will not be considered valid unless all material requested is submitted in this online application.
3. The scholarship will be awarded on merit and need, and distributed following successful completion of one semester (or term) at the accredited institution the student is attending.
4. All scholarships are subject to confirmation that the recipient is in compliance with all Rules, and that all Eligibility and Recipient Requirements have been met as discerned by the scholarship committee.
To be eligible, a candidate must:
1. Be a high school graduating senior with a minimum 3.0 GPA or current full-time post-secondary student at an accredited institution with at least one year of courses remaining and a minimum 2.5 GPA;
2. Be in good academic standing as confirmed by uploading your most recent transcript verifying GPA;
3. Be a member of a Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod congregation in one of the participating districts: Iowa East, Iowa West, Minnesota North, Minnesota South, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, North Wisconsin, South Dakota or South Wisconsin. Optional demonstration of financial need can be made by uploading a copy of your FAFSA Student Aid Report;
4. Plan to attend an accredited college, university or technical school (post-secondary.) At the time of the award, candidates must be enrolled on a full-time basis, based upon the respective institution's definition of “full-time” status;
5. Upload an essay (.pdf OR .doc format) of no more than one page, double spaced on the topics described;
The Lutheran Church Extension Fund (LCEF) is a nonprofit, religious organization serving the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS). LCEF supports the Church in fulfilling its mission of sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ by being a Christ-centered servant partner of the LCMS, ensuring that funds and services are available now and in the future. In an essay of no more than one page, double spaced, reflect on these questions: What do you like about LCEF’s mission, vision and/or the service it provides? Whose lives are being changed? What opportunities are there for you to be a part of it?
6. Upload a high resolution photo of applicant suitable for promotion;
7. Upload two letters of recommendation—one authored by the candidate’s pastor or a church leader, and one authored by a teacher. Each letter should be no more than one page, double spaced each.
8. LCEF staff nor their immediate children are eligible however LCEF volunteers, investors and other LCMS members’ children are eligible and encouraged to apply. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The recipient of this scholarship award will be notified by Lutheran Church Extension Fund and a presentation will be given at the recipient's home congregation following one successful semester (or term) of schooling. Funds are awarded to be used to defray expenses for tuition, room and board, books, laboratory expenses, and/or other related educational expenditures.
NOTE: scholarship funds awarded will be directly deposited into the student's LCEF StewardAccount® for his/her use. If a student does not have a StewardAccount, the student will be required to open a StewardAccount and the scholarship funds will serve as the opening balance.
Any amount awarded will be taxable as ordinary income to the recipient to the extent it is not used for “qualified tuition and related expenses” under Section 117 of the Internal Revenue Code. Some expenses, such as room and board, will not qualify. The recipient should consult with his or her tax adviser regarding what expenses are “qualified tuition and related expenses” and to determine whether any part of the award will be taxable.
Selection of Recipients
Scholarship recipients will be determined by a Scholarship Committee established by LCEF. The Committee will not discriminate in the selection of recipients based on race, sex, age, national origin, disability, ethnicity or veteran's status.
Application Process and Deadline
Students who wish to apply for the scholarship award must complete the online application no later than January 31, 2020.
If you have additional questions about this scholarship, contact your District Vice President.